Monday, March 21, 2011

I can't wait to Candle!

So, tomorrow is candling day! After one week of incubation we have the opportunity to actually see some of what is going on inside the eggs. We do this in a pretty rudimentary fashion involving a room with no windows (probably the men's bathroom!) and a flashlight.

You make a ring with your thumb and forefinger. Hold it flat and cup the egg in the circle. Shine the flashlight underneath trying to direct ALL the light to the egg. If done properly, the egg will glow. The little concentrated dot is the developing chick! Sometimes you can even see them swimming around. We also look for veins growing all through the egg.

Of course, it can also tell us if something is wrong. An egg that is entirely clear with no concentrated dark spots might mean that there is no development. Also, an egg with a dark ring visible also might be indicative of something amiss. We won't remove the egg yet though. I'm pretty sure they will remain in the incubator at least another week, just to make sure. There is a risk that a bad egg might explode in the incubator...which would be very unpleasant to say the least, but we want to give them all a chance!

As we candle (each egg will get candled) we will be tracking our observations on a chart. We will include the number of the egg (each egg is numbered on its shell) as well as any dots or veins we see.

I can't wait! I'm worried and excited and anxious all at once!

2 comments:

  1. Broadway Gal,

    In the olden days, did farmers use actual candles to illuminate the eggs? How did they keep from burning them (or themselves, for that matter)? I hope all the eggs have tiny tots growing inside! (I almost wrote "tater tots," which suggests that it's time for my midnight snack. Minions! Service, please. Canned tuna-in-oil, I'm hoping.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe so. I think sometimes there ia a box that is used as well.

    ReplyDelete